Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rice is Nice

Teriyaki Salmon and Veggie-Packed Fried Rice

There are few things I find more satisfying than a nice, fat piece of seared salmon. It's just so filling and absolutely delicious. What am I not a fan of? Rice. I just don't really care for rice. Pasta or rice? I'll choose pasta every time. Perhaps it's the Italian in me, but whatever. People love rice. It's a staple in many food traditions. And, really, I do eat it. (Honestly, I LOVE it in sushi.) This recipe is one in my regular rotation. I put it together as a way to make peace with my weird rice-aversion.
It worked. I use brown rice because I prefer the nuttier flavor, but feel free to use what you like. It's a snap to throw together, on the healthier side of things, and packed with yummy veggies. Feel free to substitute the salmon fillet with chicken if fish isn't your thing. This is a recipe for two, but easily doubled for families. I hope you like it.

Ingredients

- 2 6-7 oz. boneless salmon fillets (skin or skinless- whatever you like)
- 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 3 c. cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1 head broccoli, florets removed from stem
- 1 c. diced carrots
- 6 green onions, cleaned and diced
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray

Cook rice according to package directions (about 20 minutes). While rice is working, prepare other ingredients.

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray a 9" round baking dish with cooking spray. Season both sides of salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Place fillets in melted butter and sear (1-2 minutes per side). Place fillets in prepared baking dish and cover with teriyaki sauce. Bake in oven 9-10 minutes until salmon is cooked through.

Meanwhile, melt 4 Tbsp. butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add cooked rice, onions, carrot, broccoli, peas, and soy sauce. Stir to combine all ingredients thoroughly. Make two wells in the rice and crack one egg in each well. Cover and cook 8-9 minutes until egg is nearly cooked through. With a wooden spoon, stir rice mixture, spreading egg throughout. The egg will cook in the hot rice. Remove from heat and remove salmon from oven. Divide fried rice among two plates and top each with a salmon fillet. Drizzle with additional teriyaki sauce. Done and done. Quick and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment