Soy Marinated Tuna Steaks with Sesame Kale and Avocado Mango Salsa
I try to incorporate fish into my diet each week. While salmon is my first go-to seafood choice, tuna is a close second. Whether in its fresh or canned form, tuna is an inexpensive and flavorful source of B-vitamins and those legendarily healthy omega-3s we hear so much about. I paired these quick, easy, and flavorful ahi tuna steaks with my other favorite super-food of late, kale, for a nutrient-rich dinner perfect for a quick weeknight nosh. Plate it up fancy and serve it to impress weekend guests. This meal for two is easily doubled for the family.
- 1 bunch fresh kale, leaves pulled from stems, stems discarded
- 1 ripe, but firm avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced into large chunks
- 6 scallions, trimmed and diced
- 1/2 fresh mango, peeled and diced into large chunks
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- juice from 1 lime, divided
- 2 Tbsp. minced cilantro, divived
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce, divided
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 tsp. hot sesame oil. divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 6-7 oz. ahi tuna steaks
While the tuna steaks marinate, make the salsa by combining avocado, mango, jalapeño, half the scallions, and the remaining cilantro and lime juice. Toss ingredients together gently to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Once tuna is marinated, heat a grill pan to high. Sear steaks, about 2-3 minutes per side, so that grill marks appear but tuna is still rare in the middle. Remove from heat and slice diagonally across the grain to about 1/4" thick.
While tuna is searing, heat remaining olive oil in a pan over medium-high, add remaining scallions, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add kale, remaining soy sauce, and remaining sesame oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir constantly as the kale begins to wither and turn bright green.
Plate kale at the center of the plate. Top with sliced ahi tuna and mango avocado salsa. Sprinkle 1/2 of the sesame seeds over each plate. Enjoy!