Smoky and Spicy Curried Eggplant and Red Pepper Dip
I LOVE eggplant. This versatile nightshade family member with its exotic purple skin and sweet, tender flesh is central to a variety of tasty vegetarian recipes. I was on a curry kick when I threw together this easy rich-tasting (vegan) dip for a party a couple of months ago. I was smart enough to make a double batch and then added coconut milk to the leftovers and used it as the sauce for a slow-cooked chicken curry later in the week. Oh beautiful eggplant . . . I salute you for all you've given to me!
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed off and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- pita chips or flat bread for serving
Once they have cooked through, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.